Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Should I or Shouldn't I?

I was at my favorite QT today. I'm not joking when I say that I am seriously friends with all of the employees there and have grown a fond affinity for each of them. One of the guys is literally a 7 foot tall jamaican man and because we are friends he opened up a 12 pack of Dr.Pepper and let me buy a single can since I couldn't round up $1.16 for the bottle. lol! :) I lost my debit card and have been buying everything with my spare change which is actually quickly becoming a fun little adventure to see how much change I can find at our house or in my car each day. Moving on....

While I was in line, the girl in front of me was buying cigars and cigarettes. The cigars were weird but I figured "Amber...its her lungs and none of your business" and started making sure I had the right amount of change for my Diet DP. :) Well as she was picking up her things she turned to the side and guess what I saw....





Oh yes...she was really prego. But in that moment I all of a sudden just wanted to hug her and beg her not to smoke for the sake of her baby!!! Every part of my mommy self was just trying to think of anything to say to her or to figure out how on earth to ask her not to smoke those and just wait...she couldn't have had more than 1 month left and these were the most crucial months. I thought about telling her I would pay her to just wait but I figured that was pretty offensive and how would I know unless I followed that with  "then can I move in with you??" So...that option was out...


And I desperately looked around hoping there was someone she was buying them for but there was no one and she even started to open the package as she was walking out of the store to her car. She cracked the window when she climbed in....so I knew...that baby had been smoking for 9 months as well.

I know it's terribly hard to quit and I'm sure she didn't enjoy the fact that she wasn't able too..but I think if there is any time in the whole world when you should try with every ounce of your being to stop smoking...wouldn't a baby be the best motivational factor ever????

I don't know...I suppose I really shouldn't have said anything because I can't imagine anything I would say would have been "new news" but what would you guys have done?? Do you think you should or shouldn't speak up in those situations??


6 comments:

kristen said...

I always want to say something but then don't b/c I am too shy. I feel bad for those helpless little babies. We can only hope that her baby doesn't have any health issues b/c of it.

Mrs. Mommy said...

I too always want to say something, but then I realize that it wouldn't do any good. You'd have to live under a rock not to know that smoking, drinking, doing drugs, etc. is bad for a pre-birth baby. Still, people keep doing it because they all know 'a friend" who smoked their ENTIRE pregnancy and the baby was fine or who drank "occasionally' and they were fine. I even had a woman tell me once that her DOCTOR had told her he would rather she smoke pot than cigarettes while she was pregnant, so that's what she did. They never look back when their 4 year old is sick and think 'Maybe my child has asthma because I smoked when I was pregnant." It's never "Maybe my baby was born 3 months early because I smoked weed or drank". Some people are just selfish.

Ashley said...

That's tough, but you see, over the last couple of years I've started to just speak my mind. What's the worst they can say? "Mind your own business"? I agree with Mrs. Mommy that, it probably won't do any good, and that you'd have to live under a rock to not know that it's bad, but some mom's really don't know that it can cause asthma, etc.

Anyways, I probably would have asked "Are you buying those for someone?" And, if she looked at me weird or told me to butt out, then I would, but at least I'd have said something. I dunno...

Amanda@The Hand Me Down House said...

: ( Sad! I hate when I see pregnant women smoking -- it makes me SO furious!! I always want to say something but never do. I'm very non-confrontational, and plus I figure they KNOW it's bad for them and their baby, so I doubt I could talk them out of it. :(

Stephanie said...

Well, I want to say something all of the time....I know girls who still do this...and MORE...and it drives me CRAZY...I want to yell and scream. BUT I never do... :( I feel badly for their baby. BUT then again she may be buying it for her husband!

Stephanie M. Page said...

oh...that is hard!! I don't know. I maybe would just try and be encouraging. Ask God to help me come across as loving instead of judgemental. =)

Site Meter