Thursday, October 28, 2010

And Then He Cried

Steve sat in the office, slowly telling me his story.

He had recently been on leave from his job because of an injury.

He received notice from his company that he had been fired last Friday.

This he thought was illegal; it turned out it wasn't.

He had worked for this company for 10 years and they let him go because of a temporary leave of absence.

Two days after that he was served divorce papers.

His wife whom he'd been married to for 16 years decided she didn't want to be with him anymore.

He was broken.

I didn't know what to say.

I told him to surround himself with family and friends.

I told him to be strong.

I told him I knew that she would be lonely, because leaving a marriage only sounds fun in the beginning.

I am in a  study group with divorced women and the pain that follows separation can be unbearable.

And I prayed.

Suddenly, a still small voice whispered, "Amber, he needs Me."

"But how?" I asked..."What can I say to him in this office?"

So I waited, he eventually collected his check and left.

The instant he got to the parking lot I ran after him.

I gave him the name, address and time of church this Sunday on a tiny post-it note.

And all of a sudden he cried.

He reached for my hand and covered it with his.

This tall, strong man stood in front of me with big, round tears coming down his face.

"Thank you," he said.

Over and over he said it again.

"Thank you so much."

Before running back to the branch I said, "When you get there Sunday, ask for Gary."

He smiled through his tears and nodded.

If you think of it this week.

Please pray for Steve.





4 comments:

Kat said...

Wow... what a touching story. Good for you for listening to the Spirit and being courageous. Will be praying!!

Karen said...

I have tears in my eyes. Thank you for sharing.

Deb said...

Praying that this man will accept Jesus as Lord and Savior of his life...maybe the tragic things he's going thru...is to bring him to the Lord. God wants the glory in EVERYTHING!! Thanks so much for sharing this!!!

Anonymous said...

I love ambersdawn.blogspot.com! Here I always find a lot of helpful information for myself. Thanks you for your work.
Webmaster of http://loveepicentre.com and http://movieszone.eu
Best regards

Site Meter