Monday, December 13, 2010

My Great Uncle Was Killed By A Homeless Man

Okay, it wasn't my Great Uncle...It was Dave's, but

"My Great Uncle-In-Law Was Killed By A Homeless Man"

seemed just wayyy too long of a title.

The reason I am writing this post is because I want to help. I want to help the homeless. But, helping the homeless is actually quite dangerous. I was at a stoplight the other day and the man's sign said, "Just trying to support my family during the holidays." He looked like a nice enough man and I really really wanted to invite his family to have supper with us....but....I just didn't know. I mean, I didn't know why he was in the situation he was in and I could only assume Dave would not have been too happy if I invited a serial killer-rapist-man to our holiday dinner. So, I just drove by...again. How many times have I driven by a homeless person? Far. Too. Many.

I remember being in Colorado with my best friend and her now husband and we saw a homeless man outside the drive through at Taco Bell. I told my friend's boyfriend (at the time) that I would like to give one of the burrito's I had to the homeless man. As I was trying to stick my hand out the window and give it to the man, my friends boyfriend sped up...I was like "Hey!!! I wanted him to have this!!" to which he replied "Amber, you have no idea why he was out there and what if you would have given it to him and then he would have jumped in the window and killed us." And unfortunately...he was right. Probably not in broad daylight...but a point to consider for sure!!:)

So, this is the point of this post...how do you help those people you see on the side of the road. :*( I hate driving by them...like seriously HATE it...it breaks my heart every time.

And, to conclude and circle round to the title of this post. Dave's great uncle always had a heart for the homeless, giving them rides when need be, and just helping out however he could. Well...that generosity is exactly what got him killed. One of those homeless men he picked up killed him in the very truck he was using to help him and stole all his great uncle's belongings...true story....that's how he died. How horrible is that???



So again I ask...how do you help?? :(

4 comments:

kayla said...

goodness...so sorry about Dave's Great Uncle.

Matilda's Mommy said...

Wow, that is scary. I too have wanted to stop and pick up a hitch hiker worried about them.
I think the best way to help is not directly but indirectly like through the People's City Mission and stuff like that. These organizations are set up to help those people and this is where they should be seeking their help from, not from the side of the road.

Sheils said...

Every now and then when I go to McDonalds I pick up one of those $5 gift card booklets and if there is a homeless person on the side of the road (I only do this in daylight when there are others around) I give the booklet to them...that way I know it will be used for food and not drugs or booze. I also know someone that travels a lot and they save their shampoos and soap from the hotels they stay at and they make little baggies that they keep in their car so they hand a bag to the homeless person when they see them.

mama brehm said...

Today I gave a guy a few bucks as I drove by the mall. It was freezing. And it was daylight. And it's Christmas. But I totally thought of this story. I rolled down my window and handed it out and then rolled it up and checked my locks. What times we live in? I know it's silly but I always say to adam "what if it's jesus" and he says "jesus will understand". :)

Site Meter