Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My Purses Are On Their Way To Kenya...

...and you'll be able to find me...

living in a hole.

OH yes everyone...I got a little dose of something called

HUMILITY

this weekend. :(

You see, it all started because we decided to have a garage sale last minute this past weekend. We have only lived here a year and yet already I felt as if our closets were a hazard. I mean seriously, whoever opens one without knowing what 's on the other side could literally go missing for days under the pile of rubble that will fall on them.

So, I worked my buns off on Friday and got everything together. I started my Saturday at 6, setting up, getting the signs ready and by 9:00, "Clara's cupakes & soda stand" was in full swing with a steady number of people coming and going slowing making my future closets less and less dangerous with every item sold. :) So, all in all, we had considered the day quite a success so far!

Until, a certain gentleman showed up and changed everything for me.

He was really examing everything laid out and then arrived at my purses. I was not sure why on earth a man would show such interest in the purses but who knows...it's 2011 and people have strange taste sometimes. :)

He motioned me over and slowly started bartaring. Truthfully, I was a bit "irked." I mean, I had marked these $75 purses down between $1 and $4 so it wasn't like I was trying to make a fortune. But, he kept pressing, for less and less. Dave finally came over to see what was going on and somewhat unhelpfully said he had no idea how much they were worth. Such a guy. :) Anyways, the man finally talked me down to $6 for all the purses. And then it happened...

I casually said, "You just got a steal of a deal sir." (secretly super annoyed)

To which he replied: "Oh yes. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I am taking all these as gifts over to Kenya to give to my friends and family." (with the biggest, sweetest smile ever)

You guys, it still brings me to tears when I'm writing it. I cannot describe the flood of emotions that went through me in that moment or what I feel now. I asked Dave what he said to make sure I'd heard him correctly and as he walked away I started crying...If only he'd told me! If only I'd known, I would have given him all of them for free and anything else he wanted for that matter!!

But it was too late.
The damage to my heart was done.
I'd selfishly felt he was ripping me off when he was selflessly trying to save money since he was flying to Kenya to give these purses as gifts.

So, I can promise you, that moment is now etched into my heart forever. We have so much in america...so much we take for granted. I can't imagine what it's like in other parts of the world. I can't imagine how old, used purses could possibly be wonderful gifts to the people of Kenya but that is the truth of the world we live in.

I hope this encourages others besides me to cherish God's gift of allowing us to live where we do.

Love you guys. And if you see me carrying around the same purse the next, oh 17 years, you'll know why.

No comments:

Site Meter