Monday, May 21, 2012

Confessions of a non- Pioneer Woman

I had this moment mowing my lawn last week.

Mowing our lawn with a simple push mower sometimes feels like trying to paint a door with a toothpick...or something... lol - I'm bad at comparisons as you can see but I just really want you to know it's a biiiig ole' lawn and it's takes about 6 hours with our baby lawn mower and I feel like I'm just like all sweaty and have been working so hard and turn around to see like 1/127th of it is finished.

Bummers.

However, somehow every week I get it done and it always kindof feels like I've climbed my Everest for the weekend.

Before all of you feel sorry that my husband isn't mowing the lawn for me (haha)- I just thought I'd add that he is working much harder inside our house, always, whether it's repairing holes in the hardwood or putting up frames and doors, etc.

Okay, so my point in sharing that with you all is that while I was mowing I realized the true Pioneer women of old would probably just honestly walk up and punch me square in the nose if they heard me complaining about something like that.

(Yep-probably any of those women...in fact they kindof look like they are ready too lol)
  
And it doesn't stop there...cooking with ingredients pre-boxed still is exhausting to me and I sometimes find feeding fluffy every morning can be annoying. I have air conditioning and plumbing in my house and have never worried a prarie fire would destroy our life savings.

But, while I was mulling that over which was quickly becoming an upleasant thought - a lady in a girdle taking me out and all - :) and just the fact that we have so much more than they did 100 years ago, I realized there is a reason I wasn't born then....

..because I was born now.

How's that for deep thinking lol?

I'm serious though. I truly think the Lord knew I would have never made it back then so he just safely placed me here in 1983 and knew it was a much safer bet I could make more of an impact.

So, then the question I was faced with was, what does "working hard" look like now?

Well...that was the real stumper lol.

But I started chewing on that thought...

I believe right now, it is hard to keep myself from being bombarded by the world's message to women that we are never going to be beautiful enough, never going to be smart enough, should be able to work full time, raise 26 kids, make sure the house is clean, supper's on the table and that hubby is happy.

I believe right now, it is hard work to fight for actual time with our family. I only have one little one but for some reason we have to just really try and protect our evenings together between teaching piano, volunteering, "que busts" (Dave's work demands),etc.

I believe right now, it is hard work to remember what our priorities should be. When you look back in 20 years will you say wow...I'm so glad I worked as much as I did and now have all this money to sit on. Or, will you wish it would have been spent at Disneyland, or maybe a couple more trips to the zoo or a few extra Saturday picnic's at the park.

I don't know...just some food for thought. I know in some ways those are all the same battle but they can feel different.

Yes, we have lots more resources...
but with that came lots more demands.

Anyways...just something to chew on this Monday afternoon lol. :) It may have been a long shot comparing working to keep family time sacred and working to keep locusts from eating all your crops but I went there anyways...

Because...

I don't believe any of those ladies are around anymore to assure me differently so for now I'll go with it.:)

P.S. I'm glad I have a husband who "works hard" in this generation too!


P.S.S. And yes, I am not trying to steal titles here, I was just feeling uncreative this afternoon and Ree's blog title seemed to inspire my title as I believe I truly am the complete opposite of that wonder woman!! :)

No comments:

Site Meter