Thursday, May 3, 2012

Money Makeovers

I know this is a sensitive topic but I've thought I should share it for a while now just in case, perhaps maybe one person, maybe at one time, might have possibly made a bad decision about finances. Just maybe one? :) Okay, and if you're like me...take that one and make it two and then times it by like a bajillion.

I used to buy a new outfit in college for pretty much every "event" I went to. Birthday party, celebrating a Monday party, celebrating a Wednesday party - you get my drift...there was alot of bad decisions & chaos happening in my life in 2004. 


Now, before I comment on that let me insert that pretty much the only place to buy outfits in Maryville, MO was Maurices (yeah people who recognize that store name)!:) However-I'm adding that to say they weren't crazy expensive clothes but $40 adds up quickly.

Enter 2005 - God brings me Dave and we get married and estimate I'd borrowed over $10,000 for clothes and accessories over the course of my college career and they all sat on a Sallie Mae "Independent Loans." Awesome sauce.

I wish I was exaggerating but I'm not.

Moooving on.


Haha. Just a little joke and tribute to Clara who can't get enough of that "Chic-Fil-A" cow lol.


See, I'm not kidding...that was today at chic-fil-a after she kept yelling saying "Mommmmyy pwease take pichure of me and da cow!!"

Okay, anyways now I really am off track! I just wanted you to know I had some serious shopping issues, and some serious debt issues. I seriously don't even know where 80% of those clothes are???

So, years go by and 2010 peaks around the corner and guess who we meet?


The most amazing couple on the planet and Clara's favorite babysitter ever...Paige!!

Okay, so some more time goes by and Paige and Stephen leave (totally one of the saddest days ever) but we stay in touch.

Then some more time goes on and Paige and Stephen stay at our house after a Dave Ramsey conference one weekend. We hung out all night and had an awesome time but a couple days later I receive this in the mail.


It included a super sweet letter from Paige kindly stating that she felt that "tug" on her heart to send it to us...the type you get when you know God wants you to do something but can't reason how doing it could ever be a good idea...especially when you're talking about other people's money. But she did despite all her misgivings about it.

The irony - we'd felt we should buy it a few months earlier and had, but hadn't yet cracked it open.

It's funny how at times God goes to such extravagent lengths to patiently remind you what you're supposed to be doing! 

So, this time...this time we "did the thing." We took the advice and started the process.

This is what I want you to know...

it's working.

1 credit card - gone.
2 credit cards - gone.
3 credit cards - gone.

Keep that process going to 5 and then let me tell you we just have a baby bit left on number 6. A baby bit.

Then we hit up the car, the SUV and have now started in on school debt (remember the clothes I mentioned earlier - yeah it felt overwhelming for a time).

I can write you today and honestly say for the first time ever...we feel like we're getting a handle on this thing. And it is AWESOME!!!

I am also writing it today because it has come at a cost. Clothes buying? Only the necessities. Groceries? Always with coupons. Going out money? Buy- one-get-one anyone?? You get the point! :)  

I just want everyone/anyone out there who ever argues about money, gets frustrated about it, yells at CC statements(as I used to do) :) or just plain feels "owned" by it, to know as overwhelming as debt can feel...there is sunshine. It may just happen one ray at a time but before you know it you're going to have a fully sunny day with no chance of showers unless you bring them on (AKA-pull out mr.credit card). I think that was probaby a terrible analogy but I should be making supper so Im rushing a bit here..:)

As Beth More often "yells" (not in regard to this but I feel it's applicable)just DO IT! Just DO THE THING! lol Make your money right - debt snowball yourself out of the mess and then like throw a million parties because you deserve it!! (And please invite me because I still like to get "party" outfits from time to time but I just celebrate differently now!) :)

The best part of the whole story is this...

we still get to see Paige and Stephen regularly and just got back from an awesome weekend with them! See...couple lessons here...always obey if you think you've been prompted to do something and if you do it you never know how much it may change that other person's life!


Love you guys and thank you for letting our precious pumpkin pants turn you into "frogs" with her magic wand all weekend! :)

We are happy, close to becoming debt free campers and I know if we can do it...anyone else in the whole world can. WHOOPPEEE!!! :)

10 comments:

Allison said...

We just scheduled our last credit card payment!! Then we start on Matt's truck :) It is totally working!

Jessie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! No, we don't go there, but my husbands aunt does! Small world! We are catholic and go to st michaels. Oh and we're Dave Ramsey people too! We've led the class 3 times at our church! Nice to "meet" you!

Stephanie said...

I was JUST talking to my boss about getting his book! I think I found your post for a reason today (popped over from Kelly's Korner) and now I'm intrigued enough to actually go and buy it.

molly said...

Hi Amber! I found you through Kelly's Korner on the link up. I live in the KC area too!

My husband and I have been doing Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University for 8 months and we have paid off a ton of debt. I seriously LOVE him for all his program has done for us.

Nice to "meet" you!

Kelli said...

Hi Amber! Coming from Kelly's Korner and wanted to say hi!

thecoffeehouse said...

oh dave ... my husband is obsessed with dave. i'm cheap enough already. :) and we're from kansas city too!

Kendri said...

I'm so proud of you and your commitment to becoming debt-free!

Amy said...

Woohoo Guderians!!!! I'm so proud of you guys. Just a little bit left and then you get to yell... "We're debt free!!!!!" DO IT!!! :) Love you guys

Shara said...

Great post! We've done Dave Ramsey before and were at one point debt free besides my husband's school loans. Dave would not be happy with us today.

I found your blog on Kelly's Korner and I'm adding you to my reading list. Your About Me inspired me!

Have a great day!

Shara

Lauren Borquez said...

I'm a new follower from Kelly's corner. Feel free to follow me as well :)

Site Meter