Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Just Your Typical Saturday....

 
Doing some laundry...
 
 
working on an art project...
 

 
AND rescuing a girl who showed up on our back door step missing half her clothes?!?!?
 
Yes my friends, that was what we did this past Saturday.

(I'd like to preface this entire story and say it sounds pretend but is absolutely 100% true so if you don't believe me you can ask, Dave, Lunchy, Clara, Fluffy Corban or the Platte City Police Dept)
 
Dave's first comment once the whole fiasco was resolved...
 
"This never would have happened in Kansas" lol
(Just Kidding Missouri, we like you too)
 
However, maybe a more accurate note would be that "this never happened to us in Kansas."
 
So, to begin, we were downstairs hanging out (which we honestly never do because it's unfinished and there are spiders that live in unfinished spaces);) And I had the door to the back opened up with the puppies outside (which we are not supposed to do because they were a bit unsupervised)..(Sorry subdivision management) when we heard the two puppies barking like crazy?!?
 
So before I tell you what happened next, let me show you what our house backs up to...
 
Basically it's a huge forest and up until this point all we've seen coming from there were deer, baby deer and wild turkeys.
Little did we know what would come out of those woods Saturday..
So, the puppies start barking and I run outside fully expecting to see someone from management telling me to manage our dogs, but instead find myself face to face with a girl, missing her shirt, covered from head to toe in mud crying/yelling at me to use my phone.
 
Errrr...... what in the flabamawhosawhatsa ???
 
WhAt iS GoInG On?!?!
 
Yes, that was my train of very eloquent thought during those initial moments...
 
I proceeded to lead her inside (apparently like a crazy person because obviously that probably wasn't safe) to be met by Dave who also had an expression of complete confusion (and possibly shooting me a few mean side looks by my obvious lack of wisdom leading her inside our house).
However, once she was inside, my heart immediately started switching from fear to sadness. She basically had followed the creek behind our house for over 15 miles because her and her boyfriend had an altercation (I am calling it that fancy word to save you from a very sad description of what he'd actually done to her). She had lost her shirt during that situation and was covered in mud because she'd ran most of the way through the water along the river bank.
 
So, I'm sure by this point you're wondering what these two were doing...
(Corban's face here captures the moment perfectly lol)
Well...that's pretty much it...we had Clara somewhat distracted by bringing us washcloths, towels etc and singing randomly when the story got a little rough (I was so picturing that ELF scene with Will Ferrel randomly singing to his dad..."I'm here, and I'm singing" because that's what I basically did lol.
 
 
"I'm singing, Clara I love you, please don't listen to this girl missing her shirt while I'm singing...lalala"
 
But seriously you guys, we have never had our back door open for any extended length of time down there, and never hang out in the basement and ironically right before she arrived dave said, "um what are you doing?" To which I replied, I don't know I just feel like hanging out down here for some reason." WELLLLL now I know exactly why and that was to help that sweet girl. I mean she'd passed LOTS of houses before ours but our back door happened to be wide open that afternoon at the exact moment she was running by.
 
So, we got her water and food, clean clothes and tried to figure out her story a little more which was really just heartache after heartache but the worst part was it sounded like she lived a pretty normal life in highschool (great at sports, excellent at track (clearly!) and an overall happy girl. Unfortunately, she had a baby before she was ready and that's where her story turned south a little too fast.
Drugs,
Abusive boyfriends,
more drugs,
more abuse
illegal jobs,
more drugs...
and then on August 1st
Dave & Amber's house
 
So, as we listened to her story unfold, we realized all we really could do was help her in that moment feel safe, loved and full of dignity because she was absolutely humiliated at how she arrived.
 
She wouldn't let us call the cops on her boyfriend (because for whatever reason I've found abused girls still protect their abusers :( ) And she wouldn't let us take her to the hospital because they would obviously uncover what he'd done as well....
 
So, we prayed and did our best.
 
Several hours later after everything was more under control and she had some family lined up to help, Dave was on her way to her uncle's house.
 
He said it was horrible dropping her off not knowing what was going to happen next but I know God was so watching her trek through the woods that hot Saturday afternoon and prompted us to be downstairs in our spider ridden basement for no reason so I'm sure she is much safer now...but I have to say in our 9 years of marriage, we had NEVER experienced anything so bizarre in our life!!
I have a feeling that is not the last we will hear from her but who knows??
 
To conclude, we love you all because once the cops arrived and we were able to spend several hours working things out with him and discussing what had happened, we learned just how rough the crowd she ran around with actually is...
 
The Edgerton Murders anyone??
 
 
Yeah, Britney (girl on the right) was her best friend.
 
Yes, that type of rough.
 
So, the cops patrolled our neighborhood all night and gave us an all clear but we've definitely kept our eyes out for any unfamiliar cars the last few days!
 
Good news is so far so good! :)
 
I really don't think she was brought to our house for us to all end up in heaven though lol - At least I'm hoping not. ;)
 
My sister decided to make us a sign for our back door that now reads, "Please knock if you need 911 or Jesus."
 
 
(Obviously not her best work lol but it's the thought that counts) ;)
 
So to conclude, I'm so glad we could help but I may think twice next time I feel prompted to go play with the spiders downstairs!!!
 
And now, while there is actually so much more to that story I need to put our little dinosaur to bed!
 
 


No comments:

Site Meter